Go Commando: Things I Wish I Knew

#2 Go commando.
Series: Things I Wish I Knew as a New Triathlete.

"Don’t you see what’s going on here, no boxers, no jockeys," Jerry asked Elaine during a 1994 Seinfeld episode. "The only thing between him [Kramer] and us is a thin layer of Gabardine."

Two years later Joey would pull-off the phrase "going commando" during a 1996 Friends episode "where no one's ready." Youtube clip here.

Even as a Seinfeld and Friends fan, I knew going commando was TV talk, not real-world material. Well maybe Joey-Kramer types, but not me. As you know from my last post (#1 My swimsuit was see-through) married mothers don't intentionally flash their bottoms. We cover up appropriately, underwear included.


I'd pull on my bike shorts and apply Chamois Butt'r under my layers. Going bare under there seemed too extreme.

I didn't know. Apparently that chamois pad was meant to absorb sweat. Wearing underwear made it harder for the pad to function. And my underwear seams rubbed against my short seams, making chafing much worse. My long rides hurt, but I thought it was just me.

Years later, I finally ditched the underwear. So much had already gone wrong on my first bike tour (for starters I got lost, sunburned, bit by something and DNFd my first Century attempt). It was an awful week.

I thought, "what the hell, today I go commando."

And now, like Kramer, "I'm out there--and I'm loving every minute of it!" And in Kramer fashion, there's nothing but a thin (nontransparent), black layer of lycra separating you and me.

I also give Joey credit. Now, as I slip into my bike shorts, I can't help but sing to a new version of the Friends' chorus, "I'll be bare it's true! . . ." [vs. I'll be there for you!]

Tip for new triathletes: Commando works best with black shorts. I suffered too long. Be bold. Be wise. Go commando.

Tri tidbit: Underwear does have a special place in triathlon. A traditional Underpants Run is conducted in Kona each year before the Ford Ironman World Championship. 2008 had a record turnout. Underwear required.

Triathlon is a rewarding sport for people of all ages and abilities. 2009 is your year to taste triathlon. As a triathlete, you'll surprise yourself as you face fears and set personal bests. You'll be more confident, have more energy and smile more often. People will be drawn to that difference. Triathlon is a rewarding sport for people of all ages and abilities, underwear while cycling is optional.

Check out Why You Can series:
Common excuses:
1-I have no time. 2-I can't afford it. 3-I'm too old. 4-I'm afraid. 5-I'm not an athlete.

Also see:
#1 My swimsuit was see-through.Series: Things I Wish I Knew As a New Triathlete


photo credit: free wallpaper from official Seinfeld site.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sara, you ROCK! This was another awesome post :)

I Run for Fun said...

LOL! Thanks for the tip. I am all for going commando.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I discovered your blog from your post at "Steve in a Speedo". You're an amazing encourager - just the kind of resource I was looking for. And I want to read your book when you get it published.

1010 Chris

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Great post. I have been going commando, in hot weather and during exercise, for almost 20 years. LOL

Lora Abernathy said...

Hmmmm. I never thought about that.

Hey, thanks for your post on my blog the other day. I gained a little weight (3-4 lbs.) last year thinking, "Hey, I'm training for a triathlon. Sure, I'll have the Super Big Boy with fries." WRONG!

Now that my training has increased, I'm actually having to watch that I eat ENOUGH.

Keep up the great posts!

- Lora

Alan Surprenant said...

When i saw your post on trifuel, this was the first tip that came to mind. Look forward to seeing more.

Ange said...

Ha! Great post. too funny. I wondered about undies and bike shorts for a while. I still use them for those...not tri shorts. And I love your no excuses stuff...hate the 'no time' thing.
So glad to find your blog! thanks for commenting on mine

Sara Cox Landolt said...

Toby, thanks!

I Run for Fun- have you tried it yet?

1010wellness- thanks for encouraging me! I'll keep you updated!

Hey Lazy, thanks for stopping by again!

Lora, I do get anxious at times, but it is worth it.

Alan, thanks for stopping by from trifuel!

Ange, I'm glad you liked it. Agreed the no time thing is annoying. Thanks so much for commenting.