My Swimsuit Was See-Through: Things I Wish I Knew

#1 My swimsuit was see-through.
Series: Things I Wish I Knew As a New Triathlete

I was staring at a woman's bottom. Squirming in my seat, I looked away from the big screen, embarrassed. I looked up and it was still there. While this opening scene worked for Scarlett Johansson in the film Lost in Translation, there's no way I'd do something similar, as a normal married mother of three. No way.

Well. I didn't know it, but each time I swam, like Scarlett, I was semi-flashing my behind through the worn-out sheer fabric of a well-used swimsuit. And no one told me. I had to wonder how long this unintentional display had been going on.

As a triathlete I love to swim. I'm not fast. I don't flip turn. But I adore swimming. During my third pregnancy I'd combine water aerobics with a short swim before or after class. I loved being in the water.

I first thought about my swimsuit's rear view during a water aerobics class. Mostly older women participated. Many ladies would do their own thing, talking right over the instructor. One morning I saw a lady getting out of the pool and I gasped, I could see her backside, almost 100%! Did she not know? Did she not care?

I didn't immediately make the connection, it took some time. And then I thought, "What about me? What about my swimsuit?" Yep. After a close inspection in the locker room, I determined it was. There was a vertical sheer swatch right down the center of where you'd want it least.

Some advice for new or current triathletes: Check your behind. Then with appropriate swimwear in hand hit the pool and enjoy one of the most rewarding sports on earth--triathlon!

Triathlon is a rewarding sport for people of all ages and abilities. 2009 is your year to taste triathlon. As a triathlete, you'll surprise yourself as you face fears and set personal bests. You'll be more confident, have more energy and smile more often. People will be drawn to that difference. Triathlon is a rewarding sport for people of all ages and abilities.

Check out Why You Can series:
Common excuses:
1-I have no time.
2-I can't afford it.
3-I'm too old.
4-I'm afraid.
5-I'm not an athlete.

photo credit: free wallpaper from http://www.lost-in-translation.com/

9 comments:

Musing Runner said...

What a great post! I can't wait to read your others.

Stacy
http://letstriitagain.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

To caveat: If you're a guy, check the front. Happened to me.

Melissa said...

HAHAHA this post made me laugh and made me want to run and check my swimsuit right away.

Amy said...

It's not just a swimsuit issue! once i rode behind a guy whose bike shorts had worn out the same way. spent 10 miles (unintentionally) looking at his cheeks working beneath the lycra. ugh.

From Left Field said...

Has happened to me has a swim instructor. Cheap trick? Wear an old bikini bottom under your suit, or do what swimmers do: Wear two suits!

Coach Carrie said...

So funny that i read this today, because I had a lady point out to me this morning at the pool that my backside was see-through! How embarassing! Thought about writing about it in my blog, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. At least I'm not the only one. There's comfort in that. Great post!

Jetson said...

I've thrown away two training suits since I read this...

Sara Cox Landolt said...

Jetson, !! I'm glad the post was helpful! I laughed out loud reading your comment, thanks!

Michaelok said...

I used to swim at school, and this reminded me of something. When swimming, the swim suit tends to ride up a little, so you get this sort of thong-look. And all swimmers get into the habit of adjusting their swimsuit when they get out of the pool and walk around, it's like second nature. But I don't recall wearing out suits, of course you're getting a new one every season, so you're getting your use out of that suit it seems.